Bids Deadline: 17 January 2018, 4:00pm GMT
Featured Items to be added soon.
The Monarch Group is a leading UK-based travel group with three key businesses: Monarch Airlines, scheduled airline operations; Monarch Travel Group (“MTG”), tour operator activities trading the Monarch brand and historically through the Cosmos, Monarch Holidays, Avro and somewhere2stay brands; Monarch Aircraft Engineering (“MAEL”) a leading UK-based airframe maintenance and repair organisation. The Group’s engineering operation, Monarch Aircraft Engineering Limited, is not in administration and continues to trade normally.
Monarch Airlines is a UK based scheduled airline primarily operating in the European short haul market. Its historical focus has been on the leisure sector where it competes against both national carriers and low cost carriers. Monarch Airlines has a strong heritage in the leisure sector and differentiates its product from its competitors through the delivery of a high quality, low fare customer proposition focusing on choice and superior customer care resulting in high levels of customer satisfaction.
A 2014 survey of airline customers flying short haul from the UK, placed Monarch Airlines in the top five companies for customer service and value for money. Monarch Airlines scheduled service is principally sold direct to consumers with the website accounting for 97% of sales (2014 data).
Monarch Airline 4 Year Financial Overview
4 Year Financial Overview:
- Year to 31 October 2016 revenues of £558m
- Year to 31 October 2015 revenues of £655m
- Year to 31 October 2014 revenues of £764m
- Year to 31 October 2013 revenues of £767m
Monarch Travel Group (“MTG”)
MTG offered, and delivered, fully protected and intrinsically flexible holiday packages, backed by a long established reputation for reliability. Additionally, MTG offered flight only and accommodation only component products to customers and other holiday companies. MTG distributed through a variety of sales channels (direct via own websites and contact centre, third party high street travel agents and online travel agents).
Monarch Travel Group 4 Year Financial Overview
4 Year Financial Overview:
- Year to 31 December 2016 revenues of £148m
- Year to 31 December 2015 revenues of £234m
- Year to 31 December 2014 revenues of £334m
- Year to 31 December 2013 revenues of £336m
300 domain names both premium branded and non-branded domain names including:
- monarch.co.uk (170 million DNS visits over the last 12 months)
- flymonarch.com (31 million DNS visits over the last 12 months)
Brand Related Assets
The Monarch Brand
- The Monarch brand has traded for over 50 years and was carefully positioned to maintain the customer at the heart of its product proposition and operations and deliver superior customer care at a competitive price across all its businesses. A recent 2017 brand valuation valued the brand at £170m with the 5th strongest brand strength versus its competitors.
Trade Mark Portfolio
- A European registered trade mark portfolio protecting the Monarch and Monarch Holidays brands (see linked document for details)
- Registered design rights protecting Monarch branded livery (colour scheme) applied to their planes in Europe and several destination countries (see linked document for details)
- Trade Marks protecting: Somewhere2stay, AVRO, Distant Dreams, 1st Aviation, Cosmos (see linked document for details)
Built using Sitecore's web content management system and Navitaire booking system. Monarch's website received in excess of 10 million visitors a month. The Monarch website was where customers were provided with information on flight timetables, routes, offers, group bookings, holidays, city breaks, car hire and travel extras such as transfer, parking and lounges.
The Monarch website provided:
- Extensive personalisation against flight search, booking activity (both incomplete and complete bookings), standard Digital Marketing System DMS personalisation, GEO-IP personalisation, HTML5, geo-location personalisation, search referrer personalisation and flight search categorisation
- Support of automatic relevancy based personalisation against user data based on LUCENE.NET search and configurable Sitecore personalisation rules
- Integration of real-time flight prices into personalised promotions and carousels displayed on the Home page
- A Sitecore managed and a ‘personalisable’ flight, holiday, villa and hotel search panel
- Personalised pricing grids on the Home page
- Personalised retail product promotions e.g. seats and meals
- Personalised confirmation page retail offers
- Monarch’s Sitecore content managed website has the capacity to support multi-lingual content, which includes English, Italian, Spanish, German, French, and Catalan
Google Analytics, RedEye and Omniture tagging monitored visitor behaviour, which complemented the Sitecore Analytics (this powers personalisation, split testing and post booking email communications). A Feefo Account also holds 450,000 independent service review ratings.
- The Monarch Airlines IOS App has been downloaded 411k times (363k UK, 12.6k Spain, 7k Italy, 5.3k USA, 3.2k China, 3k Portugal, 1.9k Israel)
- The Monarch Airlines Android App has been downloaded 175k times (150k UK, 10.8k Spain, 3.4k Italy, 1.4k Cyprus, 1.2k Portugal, 1.1k Israel)
Social Media Accounts
- Facebook: 300k followers
- Twitter: 120k followers
- Instagram: 16k followers
- LinkedIn: 7k followers
- Marketing collateral: brand guidelines; brochures; brand tracking/consumer insight information; Brand Awareness Campaign documentation; direct marketing documentation; marketing reports; consumer insights; and artwork (signage designs, safety cards etc.)
- Passport! Monarch inflight magazine collateral
- Advertising documentation including Radio and TV scripts and outputs
- Rights in a number of unregistered Monarch related straplines
- Image library including photos from original photo shoots and destination imagery
- Brand awareness tracking data, econometric data, financial performance data
- Destination guides/ content and blog content
- Training materials/SOP’s/Manuals
Diligence & Sale Process
Hilco Appraisal is currently soliciting interest in the assets from qualified buyers. Access to further information via a Data Room is available on signing of a non-disclosure agreement.
Bid Submission: Bids will be provided in writing by the Bid Deadline. Bid documentation will be provided on request.
Terms & Conditions
- The bidder acknowledges that Hilco Appraisal act as agent for the Joint Administrators who offer for sale only what right title and interest the Companies (in Administration) possess in the assets. The information provided has not been verified by Hilco Appraisal or the Joint Administrators and bidders are deemed to have carried out their own due diligence of the assets.
- Monarch Holdings Limited (in administration) provides Monarch Airlines Engineering Limited (which remains trading outside of an insolvency process) with a licence to use certain of the Monarch group’s intellectual property rights and domains. As at 3 January 2017, this licence has not been terminated, and remains subject to the outcome of this marketing and sale process. Without prejudice to its rights under the licence, Monarch Holdings Limited (in administration) may, amongst other things, terminate the licence by providing 28 days’ written notice to Monarch Airlines Engineering Limited. We understand Monarch Airlines Engineering Limited are willing to enter into discussions with interested parties in respect to continuing to licence certain of the Monarch group’s intellectual property rights and domains.
- A non-refundable deposit of 30% will be payable by the buyer within 48 hours of bid acceptance. VAT at 20% will be added to the price. Legal completion to occur within 5 business days of bid acceptance. Full Terms and Conditions apply.